Saturday 29 December 2012

Pressure Cooker

I am soooooooooo very excited!!

I received a Pressure Cooker for Christmas from my Brother and Sister in Law and a cookbook to go with it, from my Mother in Law. I was so excited to try it out on Christmas Day I steamed my vegetables for the dish I took to Christmas dinner at our friends house. I was very vocal about how I steamed them, everyone was dutifully impressed, probably because I was so excited. 
I have been pouring through my new cookbook and instruction manual finding out how to use it and what I can make with it!
Last night I made scalloped potatoes the smelled wonderful and tasted really good too. A few of the potatoes were a bit crunchy but I didn't care, I was just pleased with myself. I called Marg and told her what I was doing and she was also excited for me, we talked about the recipe and how I was doing. After I explained it was good but a bit crunchy, after she read the recipe she said did you put in the baking soda - opps forgot that - she said it helps cook the potatoes, it breaks down the starches in the potatoes to soften them - wow - who would have guessed! Not me I know that! 
So next time you boil potatoes try adding a bit of baking soda and see what happens - there is your science lesson for today - class dismissed ;-) hahaha !

No comments:

Post a Comment